This was probably one of my favorite readings. I quite enjoy learning about First Nations culture and their history. It’s painful to see what they endured but its wonderful to see how strong they’ve become as a nation and how they’re fighting for their rights and what means most to them.

What’s absolutely terrifying though is how prevalent the stereotypes and racism towards First Nations people still is. I have a good friend who I work with in the schools. Her job title is being a First Nations Education Worker. She integrates culture into classrooms and gives extra support for families and students struggling. The racism she still faces IN THE WORKPLACE (yes, you read that right. from co-workers…) is absolutely disgusting. As a school, we are supposed to be working as a team to teach these kids to be kind and respectful and anything but a serial killer but instead, energy is being wasted on being mean to one another because of their job title and race? It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

(Reading Log #2 – September 19, 2016)